Sunday, September 11, 2011

#1 blog post

My topic is about crime and punishment and the person that I am focusing on is Dr. Henry Howard Holmes or H.H. Holmes.  He was one of the first documented serial killers in Chicago in 1893.  H.H. Holmes also went by many aliases which is one of the reasons he wasn’t caught right away. He also opened up a hotel which he designed and built with the idea of using it for murdering people.  When he was caught he confessed to twenty seven murders but the body count could be as high as two hundred bodies.  In its time this case was notorious because it received so much publicity from the newspapers.
I choose the topic of crime and punishment because it was the topic that drew my attention the most.  I was fascinated and intrigued with the idea of serial killers.  I wanted to be able to get inside their head and see why they decide to kill people.  Also what makes them want to keep on killing more people after the first one.   Another reason why I choose this topic was to see what the punishment was for serial killers in the 1800’s compared to the punishment of serial killers now days.  I also want to look at how his life style was as a serial killer in the 1800’s.
To locate information on my topic I started with goggling H.H. Holmes then I read some of the articles that showed up.  Then I went on to the library search site to find some more articles on H.H. Holmes and at that site I could also get my sources in mla format.  The library site is a very good site and I have found a lot of interesting information from it so far that will help with writing my paper.           

No comments:

Post a Comment